Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Rain in Spain...

Falls mainly on Machu Picchu. But, it was still fantastic! Yesterday we were lucky enough to venture as a group to the ruins of Machu Picchu and they were fantastic. We woke up real early, around 5 AM, in order to catch the train from a nearby town that takes you to Machu Picchu. The experience on the train was phenomenal as well--lots of snacks and hot tea. We got to the town before Machu Picchu where we met up with our tour guide. We then took an unreal bus ride up the mountain... This bus was whipping around the switchbacks like nobody's business. We safely made it up, went through the gates and there it was--the beautiful ruins of Machu Picchu. It's quite mind-blowing the first time you see this place. It's unbelievable to think about people creating these buildings so many years ago, it's fantastic.






We had about a 2 1/2 hour tour where we learned about the interesting spots of the ruins. Literally as soon as the tour started, it started raining. And it didn't stop for the rest of the time. We looked quite hilarious in our brightly colored ponchos (which turned out to be awesome rain gear). It was the first real tourist experience I've had in Peru, so much of our time in Urubamba has been truly removed from tourism, we've seen like 2 tourists our whole time here. But, Machu Picchu was a different story. Even though I'm trying to not be a total tourist, I totally embraced my touristyness and even took those dorky photos of just me and the ruins (as seen below).



After our tour was finished, we got time to run around the entire site and take pictures. It was a constant battle between my camera and the rain, but I got a few decent shots. It’s hard to get a unique picture of Machu Picchu that hasn’t been seen before, but the fog and rain yesterday did make for some cool images. I utilized my trail guide skills and took the rain as a fun and interesting adventure, rather than the ultimate downer that it could have been. We ended our time at Machu Picchu around 2 PM, drenched and cold, and made our way down again via the deathly bus ride.




In the town of Machu Picchu we met up for lunch. One of the biggest food things I’ve had to adjust to here is that lunch is an ENORMOUS meal. Every lunch includes an appetizer and a full entrĂ©e, its nuts. The food here is incredible, but there’s always so much. I’m hoping I persevere and eat as much as possible tonight with my host family in order not to disrespect them in any way. After lunch we had some time to wander around and a bunch of us hung out together in a group. The people in my program are awesome and I’m bummed to have to split up from everyone today—I’m having so much fun with everybody. Ah well, we will have class together every morning and there will be more excursions for us to be reunited on.

The train ride back to Urubamba included quite the adventure. One of the employees on the train demonstrated this native dance and chose one individual on the train to join him in his dance. Oh, guess who it was? Yep, me. I got up and fully embarrassed myself in front of all of my peers and everyone else on the train. And I totally loved it. After this dancing incident, the employees also put on an “alpaca fashion show,” demonstrating multiple alpaca outfits for purchase. It was quite hysterical.

Now, we’ve got a bit more orientation and then a large lunch extravaganza. Around 3:30 PM, we’re taking the bus back to Cusco where there’s a large reception and we meet up with our host families—crazy! I’m excited, but also totally and utterly nervous. I’m horrified that I won’t be able to communicate, or that they won’t like me, or that I’ll make some offensive mistake. I think I’ll be fine, but it’s a lot of pressure to be put under. Hopefully all will go well tonight and then it will be smooth sailing in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment